Wedding photographers tend to be pretty concerned with pricing and how you offer your service.  I’ve heard the argument about respecting your time – that if you don’t charge for every minute the client won’t respect your time and will run over you in negotiation.  But it almost seems too easy to offer “unlimited” coverage and basically make time a non-issue while potentially allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.

I know what I do, and I’ve never been big on making an issue of what I do – you’ve got to do what is right for you. But I do think that “time” is a somewhat strange metric to base all pricing on.  I don’t think anyone thinks about their wedding in terms of how long it is going to take.  It is very difficult to equate deliverables to how much time is spent (sure, it makes sense to us photographers, but I think we understand it largely through the experiences that we’ve had that the client simply doesn’t have).  I do tend to think that many people fantasize about what their wedding will be like – I doubt that any of those fantasies involved a clock.

I realize that time is relevant to us as professionals.  But I think that anything that we care about has to become a value to the client if we are going to make it a decision point for them.  I don’t love making time an issue for clients because it isn’t a positive metric in their minds or anything that they are excited to worry about.  Anything that you make a pricing-based decision point ought to be something exciting to think about in my opinion.  Time doesn’t seem like an exciting thing from the client’s perspective.  I want the decision points to be things they could want, and things they are interested in – I don’t want to focus on what they aren’t getting.

That doesn’t mean that I think you should do “unlimited” coverage.  Besides, everyone who says “unlimited” puts a fucking limit on it anyway which makes the whole concept ridiculous.  Regardless of the way that you build it you need to manage expectations on what you’re going to do, what you aren’t going to do, what options the client has, and what the ramifications of those options are.  Expectation management always rules in this case.  You can’t charge the client more in the moment if they don’t understand what you’re charging or why buy Lyrica medication.  And as a side note, a contract is NOT a communication device (it is a protective device) so you can’t expect them to read the contract and understand how your system works.

But I like to think about it like this – I want to be paid for what I’m doing, not how long I’m doing it.  I don’t think it should cost less for me to shoot because this job is a little shorter than the next.  The value of what I do (IMO) is the preparation, the reputation, trustworthiness, the approach, etc.  None of those things have anything to do with how long I’m doing the job.  If I want to sell those things then making time a decision point seems silly and takes the focus off of the things I want them thinking about.  When you charge for something you tell the client that it is important to think about – I personally don’t want them to be thinking about time.  Your approach may be very different, and you should act accordingly.

What do you think?

– trr

Order Lyrica online uk, Order Lyrica online usa

1. I’m one of those photographers that offers unlimited coverage… really unlimited, no hidden limits. Mostly for the reasons you mention about having brides focus on positive things.

Been doing it for 8 years now, my average wedding is 14 hours.

I started doing it because my favourite things to shoot were the getting ready and the late into the reception… short of leaving for 5 hours in the middle of the day there’s no way to do both in an8 hour package. :)

Now, beside benefiting me and allowing me to shoot the things I want, I also use it as USP… I’m the photographer that wants to be there for your entire day, letting your wedding happen naturally without having to worry about the clock; not the guy who’s going to try to cram as much stuff as possible into his “6 Hour Diamond Jubilee” package.

Anyways, that’s my 2c.

2. buy Lyrica canada July 10, 2013 at 1:15 pmcheap sunglasses lyrics

I get that if you tend to have more homogenous weddings (similarly sized affairs in certain specific venues), an hourly model wouldn’t make sense.. because they’ll all be roughly the same. The main issue that keeps me from using the “unlimited” model is the wide disparity in the type of weddings I cover. A wedding with 40 guests in the parents’ back yard, 15 minute civil ceremony and bridal party of 1 on each side is significantly less work than a Catholic wedding (90 minute service) and country club reception with 250 guests and 14 in the bridal party… especially when the smaller wedding really only needs you there for 5-6 hours instead of 10-12. Fewer shutter clicks, less post processing work, less cost in wear & tear / film / disk space.

If I base my pricing solely on final products (album, prints, files), it isn’t fair to charge the smaller wedding that is truly less work the same rates as the bigger one, or the result will be not booking any more small weddings. I would become grossly overpriced for the value offered. This is fine if you never want to do small weddings, but some people thrive on both kinds, especially those photographers living in “destination” locations, serving both small out of town parties and large local resident parties.

Without charging by the hour, does a photographer get around this with an arbitrary “small wedding” discount? What threshold do you use (# of guests?) And even if you do that, how does one market that you’re even open to smaller weddings that cost less for the client without sounding all “discounty”, lest I post no pricing info on the website and begin the bombardment of time-wasting “what are your prices” emails from budget shoppers?

The hourly model seems to be the best compromise for both myself AND the large or small wedding client. It’s fair to them both– and they seem to understand that, despite sometimes a little extra non-value-add sweat over my coverage time.

• buy Lyrica from mexico July 10, 2013 at 1:37 pmpurchase Lyrica

Why isn’t it fair to charge the smaller wedding the same as the larger? If your value is tied only to how long you are standing there I guess I can see the point (even if I don’t agree with it). But what about the preparation, planning, consulting, finishing, etc? Certainly there is a fixed amount of time, investment, risk, liability, etc that goes into every job? To me the risk and liability are largely the same and that seems like a pretty good reason to charge the same.

– trr

• Todd- yes, the per-event cost involved for consultations, equipment, prep etc. doesn’t fluctuate. If you were to plot a graph of my cost vs hours coverage, the line at zero hours would intercept the cost axis at the “get me to show up” amount, which is not zero dollars :)

Subtracting those common things, small wedding = 5-hour coverage plus 10 hours in post = 15 total; large wedding = 10 hour coverage plus 20 hours post = 30 total. Still a significant difference in cost for me (plus equipment wear + tear, disk space for the images, time away from family etc).

Why not pass those savings onto the consumer? Most small weddings in these parts are lower-budget affairs… and I would quickly become way too expensive for such short coverage if I did not offer a discount. An alternative way to look at this is if you charge the same for short and long weddings, you are under-charging for the long ones.

I have also found that clients are so happy with the images, they forget they didn’t have me there taking pictures of them getting their hair done or the last few drunken, sweaty guests hugging goodbye at 12am. I have second shot enough times for “all day coverage” photographers to see that the value of the photos themselves at the start and finish are low. Concentrating the photographer’s time to certain hours does put a touch of stress on the couple– but so does the DJ and the venue. It keeps things moving along and disciplined– and the result is the stuff that is important and lasting happens in that timeframe.

Perhaps because you offer all day coverage, clients who naturally value that gravitate towards you, and it becomes self-reinforcing.

The idea of “half day” coverage is not a bad one.. still open-ended-ish, but allows for some savings so you don’t price yourself out of the small wedding market.

• buy Lyrica from mexico July 10, 2013 at 7:47 pmbuy Lyrica uk

OK Andrew – a few question:

Why pass the savings on to the client? Are we required to maintain the same profit percentage for every client?

Why would we assume that short coverage requires a discount?

You say that you’re undercharging for the long service if everything is priced the same – this again assumes that time is relative to value. I contend value is built in far more significant elements.

For the record I’m not advocating “complete” or “full” coverage, I’m simply challenging the idea of based pricing largely or entirely on shooting time. I don’t think that aligns with the client perspective.

thoughts?

• can you buy Lyrica online July 11, 2013 at 4:04 am

Why pass the savings on to a client?
            – because you’re a nice guy
            – because it might/will make booking the wedding more likely
            Ultimately in our lives, time is our most precious commodity. We are doing photography as a business to trade our time for money.. so we can live and live comfortably (otherwise we’d all be sustenance farmers!). But following this thought experiment– what examples of more significant elements have value built in?
            It’s entirely possible I am so entrenched in the time-is-money mindset I can’t see the forest for the trees here haha. Now from a pure economist’s view of the customer, sure, limiting our coverage time is not always in the best interest of the client. I contend there are certain clients and conditions where curtailing the time can be a good thing… particularly those clients who are introverted and might get tired of seeing your face after some time, whom I get sometimes.. and clients who are undisciplined, where the task assigned will expand to fill the time allotted.
            I appreciate your challenging these thoughts. It is testing some of my fundamental assumptions. The last few years, I have been very sensitive to the time I spend on photography. This is exacerbated by having 3 small children and being a weekend warrior / non-full-timer… to the point where I can’t ignore it. I’m in that transition phase where I’m really learning how to communicate value to the client, such that I can charge more, be able to do fewer weddings that are longer, and still come out OK financially.

• Jolie July 11, 2013 at 7:51 ambuy Pregabalin 300 mg online

Todd,

I appreciate the notion of pricing being formed around the what “makes me and what I do for you unique” factors and that those factors play a significant role in a couple’s choice of photographer. I get what you’re trying to say about not breaking out the calculator and using dollars per hour as the basis of one’s price structure. But after thinking about the article, I wonder how you arrived at a place where the amount of time devoted to a client before, during and after their photographed event isn’t factored into some part of your price? Or is it to some degree, and I’ve misunderstood you?

You stated you charge the same for a slightly smaller wedding. What about weddings that are significantly larger or smaller in scale and hours than your “average”–still the same final price too? Perhaps you’ve positioned your business to serve a specific market and served it long enough to know the coverage range, allowing you to set a price package(s) that makes the hours spent irrelevant?

It seems to me this country is preoccupied with time. The multi-tasking. The over-scheduling. How often do you hear, “How long will it take?” We pay extra for things be rushed and we pay extra for things to go slower. Even during the wedding planning, a couple can be faced with time issues for the venue, the officiant, music and church. So while the hours required to execute a service isn’t an exciting concept, time does play a role, yes even if it isn’t explicitly stated to the client? That’s the part of the article that felt vague to me.

3. Oh and great topic BTW, Todd. This should lead to an interesting discussion.

4. Julie July 10, 2013 at 1:30 pmbuy Lyrica online india

I had a discussion with a business coach about pricing models and she asked me “If you charge less for doing a shorter wedding can you still book another wedding in that day?” Maybe for some people it’s a faint possibility but I can’t see it happening! So when you’re taking that booking with less hours and charging less because of it, your day that could have been taken up with a higher paying (longer hours) job is now bringing you less. I don’t want clients to start valuing my time by the hour as the differentiating factor in cost but how do you manage that situation? Especially if, given the choice, I’d shoot small weddings (less than 100 people) 100% of the time…

• Mark July 10, 2013 at 3:49 pmLyrica purchase online australia

It is a good point but can you charge that much more for 14hrs vs 8? The extra hrs are impinging on your time off and life in general or 6hrs means a lot of post work done or maybe doing back-to-bad days without killing yourself.

• julie July 10, 2013 at 4:02 pmcheap flights lyrics

Funny you should say that as I’d have thought charging less for small weddings and therefore having to do more of them to make the same profit means you’re working more in total, when you include the overheads of each couple/event (travel, pre-wedding meetings & client comminucation) vs a few hours extra on your feet and some more processing…

• buy Lyrica canada July 10, 2013 at 7:48 pmbuy Lyrica from canada

Julie:

No, you won’t book another wedding that day (charging less for a short wedding).. but if the wedding is half as long, you (theoretically) cut the postprocess time in half. That would allow you to book additional portrait sessions or whatever during the week.

The flipside is if you charge X for weddings, regardless of length, and can book small/short weddings at price X, doesn’t that then mean you ought to really charge X + Y for the long weddings and you’re leaving money on the table?

5. Oh this is so on my heels.
    Well we base it on time, because we want to do also shorter weddings and honestly didn’t found any other way to communicate with the client where the borders are between short and long.

We do only one a day, but there are great weddings which just are without required whole day coverage.
    If I would offer unlimited, our couples would take advantage of it, I know it. They would send me documenting how flowers are prepared at 04:00 and letting me leave last at 06:00 when only DJ is there waiting for booking end. Unlimited which have hour limit is same as offering time limited package, just set it to the max.
    So we say Price x is for 1-3, price Y is for 4-8, any hour more is Z.
    Client says what they want to book from their perspective, and we say if we accept or not.

I didn’t found a better model yet. Maybe you can help Todd :-)

• purchase Lyrica online July 10, 2013 at 2:02 pmbuy Pregabalin

p.s. I reread your comments above and
      lower price on short weddings is in our case based on fact that we have less work with it.

p.s.2: I am also pretty sure that if some couples would not take advantage of “unlimited” then they would feel they are doing us a service using us less then was possible. Well I prefer that couples feel “owing us” after the day, not that they did for us too much. We need that position for post sales and it to be closer to reality (effort/price/etc).

• One more thing, sorry for the flood.
      We offer upsale of coverage (for higher price) which causes funny effect of having really huge packages most of the time, because couples book us way to early to be often comfortable to book 17h wedding at a spot.
      They book our “minimum” then advance it, sometime as late as on the wedding day.
      Any help with that is welcome.

6. We have recently been stepping into this territory. We currently do a version of unlimited that we don’t call unlimited because it has a limit (we’ve got a kid and a dog, we can’t be out all night). But basically we are trying to shift the focus from hours to the photography as a whole. We hate the feeling of clients haggling with us over time or feeling like we have to be standing up clicking a camera every second of the 8 hours someone paid for so they “get their money’s worth”. I’m not a camera monkey. I’m a photographer trying to tell a story. So we have people hire us now to tell their story. Of course, nothing is ever that easy and we have run into a few issues. Mostly people liking the idea but then getting bogged down when comparing us to other local people with tiered hourly packages. Clients are all “so wait… how many hours are we getting?” and we’re like “No, it’s not about that, we’ll be there for the whole wedding, you don’t have to worry about hours”. But it’s like a weird and scary thing for them for some reason. I think it’s because hiring us for this service isn’t exactly tangible and thinking of it as hours makes it feel more tangible to them. But it sucks for us. We’re working out the kinks as we go now. Refining the process and trying to make it really exciting for everyone. So far, the couples that “get it” really REALLY love it and sing our praises over it. The others we have to spend some time educating and hopefully they understand once their wedding comes around and we aren’t freaking out about them wanting us to stay an extra 45 minutes because things ran late. That’s where the beauty lies. No weird money talk on the wedding day. At least, that’s the goal. We live in a wedding destination area so we have a lot of small weddings on weird days that come through and we’re finding that this model is kind of lost on people who only need 3-4 hours on a tuesday. So we’re adding a half day option for those people. Again, it’s not exactly hourly, it caps at 5 hours though. We’ll see how it goes. I’d love to see more chatter on this though because I really think it’s an interesting shift in the industry. At the end of the day, we are aiming to have people see that our value is in the finished collection of photos and the experience of having us there to capture them. Not in minutes on a clock.

• that is good idea, sadly hard to communicate as you already stated. I also am afraid that most our customers would rather want for example late night coverage then preparations, while i would prefer it other way around. So our version of “unlimited” would for example look like “any start after 6 AM, ends before 03:00 AM or as we want”.
      We also shoot many small weddings on weird days but it is easy to communicate the price difference imho as most understand that there is little desire on such days.

7. I live in a destination location where I shoot large and small weddings. For the large ones, instead of offering “unlimited” time, I offer full coverage, and explain that I am there from the getting ready shots through a good part of the reception. I’ve never had a bride demand that I am there for her 6 am wake up call or stay until the very end. This had been fantastic for me for a few reasons. First of all, most of the weddings here last approximately the same amount of time (8-11 hours) and the bride really doesn’t know how much time she really needs. Second, when I allowed them to dictate the timing when I had time based packages, it was me who was frustrated because I wanted to shoot the reception details and spend the time I liked to have with them, and they would prioritize other things. Third, 99% of my weddings are outdoors in the Rocky Mountains, and letting the couple know that rain or other delays will not affect how much coverage they get from me really puts them at ease and relieves any worry they have in that department.

It’s been a win-win for me. I really don’t shoot much longer than I did before, and when I do it’s on my terms. For the smaller weddings, I offer event based coverage, rather than time based, and it seems to resonate well with my couples. Sometimes my smaller weddings have a ceremony and then just go to a nice dinner so I offer coverage of the ceremony, portraits of the bride and groom and family portraits. I know how long it’s going to take me to shoot that, and the couple doesn’t have to worry.

• Event-based pricing–mind explosion! That really helps me think about how to verbalize the idea better to clients. I have a “Standard Coverage” that starts at 8 hours and the last two weddings I booked the couples wanted to limit coverage to save money and I had a hard time explaining to them that the candid pictures that they themselves said they loved are a product of having spent time photographing the prep, in-between moments and during the reception. And 8 hours doesn’t even always cover that.
      I’m not going to walk out the door after the clock strikes whatever if I’m still happy shooting, but it’s hard to help clients realize that that tightly scheduled 6 hours is 1. not going to happen in 6 hours and 2. doesn’t need to–that’s no fun! I don’t necessarily want to go “unlimited” because, hey, I have my limits. But I really like the idea of event based coverage because it puts things into terms they can understand, whereas they may not understand our perspective of wanting to tell the whole story (at least for photographers whose goal is to tell the whole story) and having blocked off the day for any other work.

8. julie July 10, 2013 at 4:14 pmbuy Pregabalin 300 mg uk

I’m not sure of the actual post but I’m pretty sure that I read on this blog a long time ago that by putting out pricing based on a particular metric, you’re encouraging clients to compare you to other photographers based on that, like they’re buying a phone and comparing screen resolution or processor speed – but what you want them to value is your experience, your style, your professionalism, your skills as a photographer. People can’t measure those in numbers for comparison, so they fall back on what you do give them, so it seems impossible to resolve. I’ve tried to figure it out by looking for examples in another market where people buy something not based on metrics but beyond pieces of art, I’m struggling. Restaurants maybe? Do people question why one is more expensive than another? They see that it’s in a nicer venue, that there’s a different level of service, that the ingredients are good quality, that the chef is talented and experienced – but do restaurants price things based on how long it takes to cook something? I’m just waffling now but maybe it helps examine the issue from a different angle…?

• purchase Lyrica online July 10, 2013 at 10:28 pmbuy Lyrica europe

I am with you on here, but I come from the position that 80+% of our customers come from references. They are going to book us, so not comparing to anyone basically, they are just not sure how far they want to go.
      Imho at least anyway.
      And if they will compare, the message I want to send them is, that even by that metric we are not “way off” what his “ethical” but worth it 177% as one our couple wrote.

9. order Pregabalin online uk July 10, 2013 at 8:06 pmorder Lyrica

Very interesting topic. On one hand you have the issue of making everything a positive experience and not allowing the booking process to be confusing or annoying which unlimited coverage would be a perfect solution for. On the other hand you have the reality that you don’t want to be doing ridiculous hours especially if someone does not need it (honestly I think after a while at the reception the photos start to look the same, and most couples are not interested in having a huge quantity of dancing/hanging out photos anyway) – plus if you want to do back-to-back days having extra long hours makes that difficult, possibly keeping you from making more money on another wedding the same weekend. Another small point in favor of doing hourly is that it gives us something to gift the client, we can offer them an hour for free if they book within a certain time frame to give them an incentive. The different hours also give us a broader range of client budgets to work with because if everyone is “unlimited” we have to charge for it, which gives us less flexibility with working with someone who cannot afford it – but that all depends on who your ideal client is and who your actual client is. Overall, I think the unlimited is not a bad idea at all, but its certainly not for everyone so I think it is best to leave it as an option for the clients, in the top or top two packages that way you sort of get the best of both worlds. And chances are the client who books that will be worth it – meaning they will be paying for it, love you and your work, be great to work with, and promote you.

10. This is such an interesting topic to me. On one hand I love the idea of true unlimited. At the end of the day booking a 6 hour wedding or a 15 hour wedding still means I can’t shoot anything else that day so it makes sense to charge a flat rate per day rather than per hour.

On the other hand like Andrew has mentioned above, it can be harder to book smaller/shorter weddings as the couples walk away feeling like your over priced or ripping them off since your charging the same as a 15hour wedding. Personally I’d much rather shoot one 15hour wedding a weekend (15hour wedding knock me out and I promised myself no more double headers like that) then two 8hour weddings in the one weekend. But to limit myself that way would bump my prices up greatly to a price point that I don’t want to be in for a number of reasons.

I’ve tried both models in the past and am currently working with capped hours +extra hours model. This has resulted in more bookings overall and a higher average spend in total. Although its not my preferred way of doing business its by far been the most successful for me.

11. So much of the time, clients who choose a photographer who offers unlimited coverage, instead of choosing us (we are hourly with a 6 hour minimum) are focused mostly on having it all, not missing out on anything. Nearly every time, they don’t really know what “having it all” is going to mean for them, and they don’t want to take the time to listen to what we give them in place of “it all”. They are probably very happy with what they get (too many pictures of generally lesser quality but still better than most people get with a prosumer camera). The people who hire us are looking for something different, and they get why we are involved in the planning and are grateful for our input. They know exactly what they are going to get from us in place of “it all”, and we don’t even have to explain it to them. When they see their pictures for the first time, I can see that they feel affirmed that they made an excellent choice in hiring us, and unlimited coverage never once was requested because they knew that what we would deliver was exactly what they wanted.

Limited coverage works for us. It works for our clients. It doesn’t work for everyone. We have a minimum that we are happy with (which is more money for less work compared to anyone around here who offers unlimited coverage), so anything beyond our minimum gets us compensated accordingly. We shoot fewer weddings than some, but the weddings we get end up with both us and our clients being satisfied all around.

12. I think different things work for different people, which is what is great about running a photography business in the first place as you can run it however works for you.

I’ve specifically tried to remove what would be normal comparison points for the couple from my website so they are looking a little more at what I’m offering and not just putting all the photographers in my area in a spreadsheet to categorically work out where they’ll get the most money. I want my clients to connect with what I’m offering and not just put me in a box with everyone else.

I try to explain why unlimited (although I do say up to 12 hours on my website, so I do have an external cut off point that I can leave if I choose to) is the selling point to how I photograph a wedding. Whilst I do shoot shorter weddings, you lose the thing that I’m using to try and differentiate myself, which is telling a story from start to finish. I don’t want a couple to be caught up thinking, well do I want an extra hour in the evening, or should I pay an extra £100 for an extra hour in the morning. It’s their day, and I’m happy to work around that. I explain that to couples that come to me looking for less than 6 hours, but I obviously am not in the business of turning people away if they still want to book me, so I do have a “shorter” package that isn’t actively advertised anywhere.

It’s difficult because often clients don’t see how much work goes into the back end of our business, and for me personally and the way I edit, and extra hour here or there really isn’t affected my processing time to justify charging hourly for the time on the day. Therefore I don’t really think that extra hours is something I want to bring into the equation for a couple, and every single couple that has booked has stated that was one of the reasons they did. That they could leave how long I was there for out of the equation, and weren’t forced to fix their timeline to try and save some money with me. All are happy that I was capturing everything that goes on throughout the day, and I’m comfortable that I’ve priced accordingly to cover that.

I am looking at similar options for album spreads, they’re paying me to make these sorts of decisions. I am looking into pricing my albums similarly that I don’t charge for extra spreads and state my albums are usually around so many pages, but if I think it needs more or less I’ll design accordingly. This is a trickier proposition to price and not as easy a sell, but again I think it’s something clients would appreciate as it feels like they are paying me to make these decisions for them. Should I pay for another spread to get a shot of granny in? etc etc. Only a thought at the moment though

• I include an album in my packages where I can add a few pages if need be. The package is priced to allow for the maximum sized album, but I design it with fewer pages so when they want to add a few images, I can add a few pages without any problem and wrecking they layout. I absolutely hate nickel and diming my clients for an extra fifty bucks after their wedding, so it’s all included up front, and they seem happy because it’s a service they feel like they are getting for free. I explain everything to them initially, but by this time they have forgotten.

13. buy Lyrica generic July 11, 2013 at 12:06 pmcheap trick lyrics

I don’t offer unlimited coverage because I don’t want every Saturday to be a 14 hour wedding day. I value my time and more shooting time means more images to cull and more images to edit and on the backend that is more time. The minimum wedding package I offer is 6 hours. And getting ready through the end of the reception can happen in that amount of time. If they need an additional hour or two, yes they pay for it. I’ve seen videographers and other photographers offer unlimited coverage and the clients take advantage of that. They want you there from the time they wake up to the time they enter their hotel room. If you have the energy and stamina to do that type of coverage every wedding, them more power to you. Weddings are hard work and after 6-8 hours of working in Texas heat and running around like mad, I’m tired and my creative flow starts to wane. I have done the 14 hour wedding on occasion but it’s very rare.

14. For those following this discussion, part 2 is up now –

buy canibus Lyrical law

15. Such a tricky thing this pricing malarky.

I started out offering ‘unlimited’ coverage, generally this was from bridal prep up until just after the first dance. I felt some weddings I covered were unnecessarily long. I know that doesn’t sound good from my part but I did feel as if some were trying to get their as much as possible and for as long as possible. Again that sounds terrible, especially as my couples have all been fab, I feel bad writing it.

I now offer up to 8 hours coverage as my ‘full day’ option and I communicate with the bride and groom that this is not strictly set and rigid, I don’t down tools as soon as the 8 hours is up. During the consultation we talk through their day and look at the timeline, If they want or need me for 10 or 12 hours then they pay the extra. The 8 hours is there to keep things in check, and I generally shoot between 8 and 9 hours. So I am at a wedding on a time basis but my couples are not clock watching and worrying about me getting the shots.

When I started out, not too long ago, the ‘unlimited’ days could run to between 14 & 16 hours including travel… I miss them like a hole in the head. Waking up the next day and not feeling like I’ve been beaten up is a good thing, it also allows me to shoot back to back weddings. I’m not yet in a position to turn work away and have to take on back to back wedding days if needed.