Last week the Atlanta SMUG group hosted a panel focusing on established wedding photographers answering questions about how they got to where they are and how they’ll grow going forward. Jamie and I were included on that panel along with Ashley and Graham Scobey and Jeremy Harwell. Even though all three of our studios are active in the Atlanta market we all work differently and manage our businesses differently, so I think you’ll enjoy the varied perspectives on what it takes to be successful. This is a recording of that discussion – check it out and let us know what you agree with and if you have any other questions you’d like us to address (maybe on a future podcast or livestream?)
As a side note I’m continually impressed at how much effort Smugmug puts into supporting these monthly meetings without turning them into a commercial. They say that are trying to foster community amongst local photographers and their actions are proving that they mean it. I’m not affiliated with Smug in any way, or compensated to say that, I just think it is cool and worth pointing out. Thanks to Smug and the other sponsors of the event – Think Tank Photo and PPA.
I’m proud to be on this panel with my wife and 3 other photographers that are not only successful in their craft but also people I consider friends. Thanks to Ashley and Graham for asking us to be a part.
- If you are in the ATL area you ought to join our Atlanta SMUG Facebook page and check out our next meeting. No matter where you are there is probably a group like this getting together regularly – I recommend that you get involved
- Thanks to Rupa Kapoor of Love Captured Simply and Puparazzi Portraits for moderating the event. Rupa is the outgoing SMUG Group leader as she’s handing the responsibilities over to the Scobey’s going forward.
- Speaking of the Scobey’s, they were named to this year’s Rangefinder 30 Rising Stars of Wedding Photography list. They’ve also got a workflow workshop coming up in Atlanta January 9 2013. Their work is featured at Scobey Photography.
- Check out Jeremy Harwell’s work, which is dope, at Harwell Photography.
- This was a Smugmug event – check out their photo sharing services HERE and find your own local SMUG group HERE
- Thanks to Think Tank Photo (we use TT bags exclusively) for their giveaway supporting this event.
- Thanks to PPA for the Imaging USA giveaways
- Thanks to SEXY BUSINESS Alumni Bowie Wheaton of Alternative Life Photography for immortalizing us in Instagram above.
- Speaking of SEXY BUSINESS, check out our workshops page for dates. If you aren’t sure how to plan financially, how to market yourself effectively, or how to definitively answer the question “why should a client hire me?” then this workshop is for you.
For the audiophiles – this is an impromptu recording without a professional sound system. We just dropped a Zoom audio recorder in the room and let it fly. As such the sound won’t be perfect and the levels on audience members asking questions will probably be lower than the speakers. Hopefully you’ll enjoy the discussion.